Closing was an interesting process. I didn't know what to expect, and unfortunately, I waited until 9:30am to delve into the online "What to Expect During Closing" powerpoints. It actually was pretty easy - you, your mortgage lender, your realtor, the seller, the seller's realtor and the title representative all show up. Your job is to sign your name. (And keep signing it for the entire two inch stack of papers. And they ask you for your signature for everything. "Sign this saying that you'll come back in and sign if we need you to. Now sign this so that we can sign for you, so you don't have to come back in." That kind of thing.)
It was interesting to sit across the table from the sellers. We had never met them (See! Grand Rapids isn't that small!), and there were plenty of uncomfortable silences. I suppose that comes with the territory? Oh the questions I'd ask them now! What's that big metal tank in the basement? Why does part of the countertop look sawed off? How does the water softener work?
Below is our (completely unposed) photo of our first entry into the house as homeowners! (This was before we discovered the large tree limb that was unmovable [until our nice new neighbors sawed it up for us!] and the leaky roof in the garage... any of you handymen feel like a project?)
Our realtor left us some bubbly...
Our first spider!
By the way, there have been LOTS of spider sightings (and subsequent killings). It must be due to the fact that the house sat vacant so long. The two biggest ones were a wolf spider (bathroom sink) and a daring jumping spider (in the kitchen... look it up... it's a real spider name!)
By the way, there have been LOTS of spider sightings (and subsequent killings). It must be due to the fact that the house sat vacant so long. The two biggest ones were a wolf spider (bathroom sink) and a daring jumping spider (in the kitchen... look it up... it's a real spider name!)
Jordan went to great lengths to prepare to paint. He did the big areas...
... and I followed up with the edging.
And we painted and painted for the next week. Jordan was a well-oiled machine. Toward the end, I was an easily-distractable machine, but hopefully it'll be worth it.
4 comments:
Congrats again!
I love the paint color you chose. Looks like you'll be settled in no time :)
You have a ridculously happy, "I'm nesting!" glow about you. Are you nesting? What's a maching?
I was all caught up in the magic of new-house-ness until I got to the part about the spiders.
*shudder*
But yay for all the other stuff :)
Now I'm confused. You still look really happy, but after speaking to Jordan it sounds like I should reinterpret it as a, "I'm so sick of doing trim I will very soon go insane and murder you then die," kind of glow. Hmmmm.
Post a Comment