Friday, May 2, 2008

Here We Go Again

I think I should stop posting things like "we're going to stop looking for a while" or "we'll wait to look until we get up there," because those sentiments tend to last for only a few days before something changes and we're revved up about another house. Oh well.

My parents were nice enough to look at the 1st Avenue house for us (that way they could let us know if there were obvious problems like no bathrooms or dog-smell or anything that would save us a trip up there to look at it). Here's what they reported:


- It didn't look like the owners had done much to make the house ready to sell (but you can't really hold that against the house, right?)

- The walls would need painting (we'd probably do that anyway)

- The floors would need some care eventually

- Closets are pretty small (characteristic of the time period that the house was built)

- Backyard shed has tree damage (but owners will be fixing that)


These are just the negatives. There were plenty of positives. It's in a good neighborhood. They thought it was cute and had a lot of character. It has a big backyard, that borders an alley. It lacks Central Air, but it does have forced air heating, so it'd be a lot easier to install.


AND they took lots of pictures. After perusing the photos, I have to say that personally, I really, really, REALLY like it. I can see that there would be things we could do to really make the house look nice, but I really think that it could be an option.


Obviously, we're going to have to go look at it (which will happen next weekend). And then we'll wait until we get up to Grand Rapids. Promise. :)

Upstairs landing (I love this!):
Dining Room:
A downstairs bedroom:
Kitchen:

Backyard:
Patio:

Upstairs bathroom:
Upstairs bedroom with built-ins:

3 comments:

Brynn said...

Those pictures were great...you get a much better feel for the place. I think all the negatives that you're parents mentioned could EASILY be remedied! You'll want to do some painting anyway and get the colors you want. I think a nice pergo wood floor (like what Mom & Dad have in their entryway) would look great in the kitchen. You could spruce up those cupboards too by either painting or getting some nice knobs/pulls. As I've said before, because the home is so much less expensive, you will feel like you can afford to make the house your own.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking a three season porch out the french doors you are going to add exiting the dining room. It is such a nice feature,especially in Minnesota. A place to be almost outside when it isn't quite nice enough, which is most of the time.f I am confident it could be made to "fit in" with the house.

Brynn said...

OK, the person standing in the dining room really scared me at first. It looked like a ghost! Just a weird angle, I guess.