Sunday, March 23, 2008

The One That Got Away... Maybe

I've been delaying a blog post on our most recent developments, mainly because I was hoping things might change. We (surprisingly) put an offer on a house on Wednesday (thanks to our on-call life-advice providers Laurence, Dale and Jim) on a beautiful home set on 5 acres of pines. The house was just our style, and it had been built by the owner, a contractor who was supposedly (argh) relocating back to the Twin Cities. Tuesday, the day we looked at the house (sigh), was the first day he had spoken to a realtor about it. No one else had seen the property yet, and as his wife and kids were already back in the metro area, we assumed he was serious about selling.

We wrote the offer, spoke with a mortgage guy, and then waited to hear. We had offered the asking price (although, as we unfortunately found out later, his asking price hadn't been in writing). The seller got back to us the next day, Thursday, and declined (probably too nice of a word for it) our offer. Didn't even counter-offer. He said he wasn't even sure if he was going to sell it anymore. There ended up being a whole host of things that came to the surface that indicated that perhaps the seller is a few fries short of a happy meal. In the end, since we didn't get the house, this makes it easier for for me to deal with the situation. I can take my frustration out on his stupid-headedness.

Now we move on and continue the search. Our realtor has been great to us - she feels bad about the situation, but reassures us that it's a fluke. (However, my experience at the baggage claim carousel on the way home from Texas on Friday seems to indicate that stupid-headedness isn't much of a fluke.) As the blog title suggests, some information has indicated to us that perhaps he's going to try and sell it himself (you gotta love small town grapevines). This means we might still have a chance of buying the house. I can't decide if that makes me happy or even more frustrated with the seller. We'll see. Anyway...

Happy Easter Everyone!

(This post edited for content by Jordan. I didn't want to appear too hostile in front of the in-laws or my grandma.)

4 comments:

Brynn said...

J & N - I'm so sorry about all your house-hunting problems. I feel for you and have been there myself. We lost out on a house that we wanted really bad here in Rochester and I was crying when we didn't get it. Fortunately, we found this house. So, it always works out! Happy Easter!

LJO said...

Post the pre-edited version!

salwa said...

Yargh. So frustrating. But I continue to believe that his greed/bad character will come back and bite him in the ass.

In the meantime, may 1000 camels lay babies in his bathtub until he lowers the price and accepts your new, lower offer.

Anonymous said...

I'm with supersalwa. After this bonehead discovers there's a soft housing market out there (uh, where you been, pal?), maybe he'll come back to you guys with a more accommodating attitude.
Then you can offer him $20,000.00 less than the last time and ask him to throw in his SUV.
Nothing personal, of course...just business...;0)