Oops. Here he is. Just a second.
Okay, that wasn't so bad. Anyway, back to my point. Yesterday, I had a full day, wide open, with no commitments. Theoretically, I should be able to get more done than just balancing my checkbook. However, it appears that Seth has entered into a bit more of a demanding period. Yesterday, he just wasn't happy unless he was getting attention, and he just wasn't feeling the naps. I *barely* got the checkbook balanced, and I ended up being pretty crabby most of the day because of it. How in the world do daycares do it? I had my hands full with just *one* child.
Anyway, Seth has a usual schedule of sleeping from 9pm to 7am, waking up to nurse, then heading back to bed for a couple of hours. Usually, I nap with him in the morning, but I think I've figured out that I just need to get up and get ready during his first morning nap. This is what I did today, and I've already showered and made pudding... and tidied before Don the Delivery Guy arrived. Pretty good, right?
Okay, now to my main point (and thank you for reading this far if you've made it): I logged on to two of my favorite blogs, and BOTH had posts from yesterday that were just what I needed.
Simple Mom had a post on 8 Ways to Find Motivation at Home. She tends to write to the stay-at-home-mom crowd, but I think her points are applicable to anyone trying to run a household.
Clean Mama had a Quick Clean Checklist, and oh how I love checklists. It's basically a way to focus you after someone calls to let you know that they're going to drop by.
Anyway, here's my question to you: How do YOU find motivation at home? What techniques do you use to get stuff done around the house... especially when you just don't FEEL like it?
8 comments:
Been there, done that:) First of all, don't ever go with how you "feel". You're going to have to clean the toilets regardless so don't check into the "feelings". Rarely are you ever going to "feel" like cleaning the toilets. Love you, Mom
Can't wait to check out the 2 blogs you mentioned. However, I would get way more cleaning done if I didn't check blogs so often! :)
Great articles & advice. But, as we know, reading an article about motivation and actually setting that motivation into action are 2 different things!! :) Either way, being a good Mom is what's most important - and you do that GREAT!
It's hard to get stuff done around the house! Keep in mind your first (and most important job) is being a mom for Seth. I find making a physical "to do" list is very helpful, as it provides a small satisfaction in being able to cross tasks off once accomplished. I like to give myself a time limit as well (i.e. I will get ____ done before 11 AM.) Yet some days, especially when the kids get older, you are lucky if the house is still standing at the day's end! :)
Yes, lists have been my mantra for years but be careful not to be a slave to that list. It does keep you focused, however, on one or two items that MUST get done vs. SHOULD get done. Some of my "should get dones" stay on my list a long time. I find I start to get anxious if certain things are not done on a timely basis, like cleaning the bathrooms, for example. We all have our own little methods. Exercise used to be a huge priority (too huge sometimes) when I was a runner but that hasn't been for many years. I find that I am more efficient when I'm working whereas in the summer when I'm off, I feel much more laid back and less list oriented.
First of all I would like to say that Seth, Jordan and I have a very fortunate common occurrence: intelligent, nurturing mothers. In fact, Jordan's mother corrected spelling and punctuation on these comments... By the way, Karma forgot to sign her comments, but I think it is obvious that it wasn't me. Cindy is more than a bit right about work and it reminds me of what my dad told my brother once about work when Harold commented to my dad (also named Harold) " You seem to like work" to which dad said, "Like work? You don't like work, you just do it!" Kathleen Norris wrote about acedia in her book "Cloister Walk". I found that chapter very helpful for myself and understanding others. I think many of us have a bit of lethargy at times. LA
Oh my word...Mom & Dad need to get on FB so that they can pontificate (sp?) on a social network. Sheesh!
Yes, we did get rather long-winded, didn't we? Ho! After 30++ years of working and raising a family, we must think we know something! However, beg to differ, only Laurence holds the designation of pontificator!! K & L
Post a Comment