Monday, October 5, 2009

Free Advertising

A while ago, our trusty Dell laptop computer's screen stopped working (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the coffee and peppermint mocha creamer I might have spilled on it a few months before), but the computer itself was still working. Nevertheless, I was extremely happy to have invested in "Carbonite," which is an online backup system.

Reasons I love Carbonite:
- Backs up your computer online, so you don't have to worry about protecting an external hard drive in addition to your computer
- Allows you to access your backed up computer files remotely (like when you have a photo you want to share, but you and your computer aren't in the same place)
- Backs up in the background when your computer is idle automatically and continuously (don't have to worry about remembering to backup, setting a schedule, or walking away while a program hums away preventing your computer from running efficiently)

It's $50 - $60 a year, and it made transferring my old files onto my new computer AMAZING. Eventually, we bought a new monitor that we hooked up to the old laptop (so Jordan and I can disconnect into the world wide web together... that still counts as together-time, right?), but my photos, music, everything was safe.

And like I said before, it's not a matter of IF your computer is going to die on you, it's WHEN. Backup your computer folks. :)

(And if you decide to choose Carbonite after my plug for them, let me know, b/c I think if I refer you I get a free month or something like that.)

Anyone have any guesses where I might have heard of Carbonite? :)

6 comments:

salwa said...

Do you know if Carbonite lets you back up multiple drives? Soon I'll be getting a new computer, and I'll want to be able to back THAT one up, not my mac, which is out of space...

Er, Star Wars? ;)

Natalie said...

Yes, you can connect multiple computers to your account.

You're getting a new computer!?!?!!?!?!? Tellmeeverything.

steph said...

I wish you would have posted this about a month ago, when I was agonizing over Carbonite vs. Mozy! Glad to hear I made a good choice with Carbonite, though, but sorry I couldn't take advantage of your referral offer! :)

Anonymous said...

I know nothing but I'll ask my IT guy, James Rosenkranz! Love our new computer, even though it is a MAÇ, Natalie! Love, Karma & Laurence

Cindy Randall said...

Dad (not mom) posting here, since I can't figure out the login process on this thing...
The answer to your question, IMO, would be none other than The Maharushi.
Well, what do I win, a brand new car?

Jenny said...

"it's not IF, but WHEN" -- that is totally Rush's line when he talks about it on his radio show. As a Rush 24/7 subscriber, I know this... Just poking in on your blog to see how the baby's coming:)