Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Boo!

Sadly, this is not the catch up post that I was hoping I'd accomplish tonight (so many good intentions). Instead, it's a yes-I'm-still-alive-and-if-you-still-check-my-blog-thank-you-so-much post.

Things have been really busy lately - we've been coming and going a lot, much to the detriment of our front yard. Up until tonight, it was laying under a thick carpet of pine needles, and I was constantly reminded (during this aforementioned coming and going) that I was not living up to my homeowner responsibilities... and during my first year! Isn't this supposed to be the time where I've got so much zest for my new house that I'm actually way AHEAD of seasonal responsibilities? Instead... here we are. The neighbors who never seem to be home on the weekends are the LAST people on the block to rake their yard. No wonder we haven't had any neighbors knock on our door with cookies.

Anyway, this is a prelude to my grand catchup, which will appear at some point. We've had lots of exciting visitors (here) and visits (elsewhere), and the accompanying photo documentation. I just wanted to let my faithful readers know that I haven't abandoned this project.

Also, I'd like to know how people do it. How do you work, take care of a house, watch TV (which, if you know us, you know it's an important part of this question), maintain a social life (via normal human face-to-face interactions or virtual), indulge in interests and hobbies and cook dinner at night? And I haven't even begun to factor in the tiny human factor.

Maybe I just need to hear that it's okay that it took me so long to rake my yard. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen and I are on week 3, week 3 1/2of trying to cover our very limited number of windows with plastic in preparation for winter. Also, I am about to sneak home from work in the middle of the day to do some dishes and make the bed. So I have no answer to your question. Except that a major fantasy of mine is that once I'm through and done with dental school I will have LOTS of free time. So you should not say those things in posts. Oh, also tiny humans are VERY effecient and helpful around the house. You should totally get one. Seriously, my cousin just had a tiny human and he hardly knows what to do with himself, what with all the free time and what. These books really helped him:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=baby+be+of+use&x=18&y=25

Have a baby now.

salwa said...

OMG Eric - those books look HILARIOUS. I must show those to Jake.

Natalie, the answer to your question is 7.

Anonymous said...

You've read that book, Salwa?! Cool.

salwa said...

No, I haven't, but now I will! Jake's always joking about the work we will make our kids do - this is right up that alley!

I am enjoying having this conversation in the comments section of Natalie's blog.

Which btw, can be changed so that we can leave comments right on the same blog page. (See latest post in my blog)

salwa said...

PS - Eric, you DO read my blog, don't you??? DON'T YOU?

PPS - Hi, Natalie.

Brynn said...

Of course it's fine that you didn't rake your yard! Glad that you're back!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Salwa,

When I asked if you had "read that book," I was referring to your comment about the answer to Natalie's question being "7." Which could have been a reference to The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (sort of) but then I realized that was made into a movie so maybe it leaked into popular culture from there. Or maybe the answer to Natalie's question really is just seven. I HAVE read your blog, and there was once a very scary story about a spider that you were very angry at.

Anonymous said...

We know for a fact that this is the second raking of those pine needles--you have a regular blanket of pine needles--unbelievable! The price of having beautiful, tall trees in your front yard, I guess. Nice to have you back, Natalie. You've had lots of visitors (us included) and have gone visiting so we know you've been busy! We love you and are glad your house was all cozy for Halloween. Karma & Laurence